I've been meaning to move all my posting to Dreamwidth for a while, and now is as good a time as any. [*]
You don't need a Dreamwidth account to keep reading and commenting on my posts. Here's the deal:
- All my posts will still appear here, cross-posted from Dreamwidth.
- All the comments, however, will be at DW, because duplicated and separated conversations annoy me. The posts on LJ will have the number of comments on DW and a direct link to reply.
- You can comment at DW in three ways:
- Get a DW account. Ask me for an invite code, or check out dw_codesharing.
- Use your LJ account through OpenID. As described in the DW FAQ, you can just choose "More Options," select the "OpenID" radio button, and put "your-username.livejournal.com" in the resulting box. This will identify you in that comment as so-and-so from LiveJournal.
However, your life will be easier if you take one extra step and set up an OpenID account on DW. Go here and, again, enter "your-username.livejournal.com" in the box, then set and confirm an e-mail address when you're asked. Once you've done this, you can get comment replies by e-mail, subscribe to journals, be given access to locked posts [**], and even have up to six icons. You just can't post entries.
- Comment "anonymously", not logged in; you won't be able to do this on locked posts, though, because if you're not logged in you won't be able to see them.
- I've done my best to duplicate the current list of people who can read locked posts from here to DW. If you have a DW account and I've listed your LJ account instead under "Also Gives Access To" on my profile, do please let me know.
I prefer Dreamwidth because the people running it are much better at listening to what people want and not just dumping out new and ill-advised changes, because it's completely ad-free, and because it has a bunch of cool features (the one I never knew I needed until it happened is inline expansion of cut-tags on the reading page: click the little arrow and there the content is).
I think in sum this ought to make it exactly as easy to read and comment on my DW posts as on LJ. If there are specific things that make it less easy, I want you to tell me (comments on this post will remain open).
[*] LJ now allows you to cross-post comments to FaceBook and Twitter, even if the comment is to a locked post, thereby making it substantially less work to violate someone's privacy, inadvertently or otherwise; and pingbacks now include excerpts from locked posts. You can opt out of sending or receiving pingbacks, but not of having other people cross-post comments from your locked posts.
[**] ETA: how to give LJ OpenIDs access: either manually, by going to the manage circle page and putting "username.livejournal.com" in the boxes all the way at the bottom; or automatically, by going to the import content page and asking it to import your friends.