A long list, this week. From my del.icio.us account.
Politics, news, etc.:
- Making Light: Much too comfortable in heels - "Q. Is weirdness a sufficient reason to damn Rudy Giuliani as a candidate? // A. Not when there are so many better reasons to do it."
- The Washington Monthly - Paul Glastris on what it's like going on the Colbert Report.
- Man wins case against funeral protesters - Jury returns $11m verdict against Westboro Baptist Church for protest at soldier's funeral (intentional infliction of emotional distress, invasion of privacy). Will be a very interesting appeal.
- Stephen Colbert Loses Presidential Bid - TV Guide News Report | TVGuide.com - "Colbert paid the $2,500 fee to enter the race as a Democrat (he chose not to run on the Republican line because the party required a $35,000 fee)" -- thirty-five thousand dollars?!
- Kung Fu Monkey: Farm Fetish Follow-up - "in the US many people, including the dominant political commentators and pundits, use as the defining cultural identity for America a cultural identity held by less than 1 in every five citizens"--which is ridiculous.
- Traffic! - PalmGear.com - simple, addictive puzzle game
- The Museum Shop of The Art Institute of Chicago: Kokeshi Dolls Set - Chad bought something very similar in Japan--for $3.
- The Dragaeran Cycle of Houses by ~Silversaff on deviantART
- Rhymes with Orange 2007-10-31 - Zen Boodism.
- Confessions of a Community College Dean: Retreat! - "by moving everybody off-site, hiring someone [with] absolutely no familiarity with...the particular workplace, and making people tape oversize sheets of butcher paper on the wall, we can channel the spirit of Thoreau, except for all the nonconformity."
- On Campus: In Chicago, Ph.D.'s Take a Back Seat to a Degree of Silliness - 1999 article about University of Chicago Scavenger Hunt, which included the street value of Mt. Everest, a tenured professor willing to recite profane gangsta rap lyrics, and "building a nuclear reactor from scratch," which one team *did.*
- When Harry Meets Hebrew | Articles | World Jewish Digest - difficulties of translating Harry Potter books into Hebrew
- Cute Overload! -- stoat with toast
- Cute Overload! -- bunny with lettuce
- Wyrdsmiths: The Truly Garagantuan Miss Snark Index Post
- Wyrdsmiths: A Writer's Index to Making Light
- Laelaps : The good, the bad, and the blurry: Wildlife Photography
- Virtual Hosting Blog » 100 (Legal) Sources for Free Stock Images
- Opt Out of NAI Member Ad Networks - remove tracking cookies from several online advertisers
- lj_nifty: How to Turn Snap On and Off
Finally, a meta-link: all the BitterCon posts, which I need to read.