Recs from the Yuletide rare-fandom fanfic exchange behind the cut. All of them are appropriate for wide audiences (I originally said "general" but that might have a connotation of "G-rated"). Alphabetical by fandom (listed in the tags, as these are semi-automagically posted from del.icio.us).
And yes, this is me being selective, and yes, I'm far from done reading.
- The Journey West :: "Listen, and I will tell you how Monkey comes to America." (Am I forgetting the existence of other East Asian gods in this book?)
- Words, Words, Words :: A slice of Shadow's life when he was young. "'Do you want true stories or fake ones?' // 'Oh,' the middle woman chastened him, 'all stories are true. But not all stories are real. There's a difference between the two, you know.'"
- Footsteps Ran Past :: Set immediately after the third movie, with that mix of competence and sadness that's what I like best about the movies.
- INSECURITY COMICS :: "Someone made fun of my arms yesterday. I was just innocently stomping around when this guy pulled his arms up to his chest and started waggling his hands and saying 'Look at me, I'm T-Rex!'" Paste it over the image and I couldn't tell the difference.
- Special Favor :: Empress Norathar of the Eighteenth Dragon Reign makes a special request of Morrolan e'Drien. Short and sharp.
- Clambering Uphill :: Not only is it The Lady's Not For Burning fic, but it's in blank verse. With quarks and reminiscences and Jennet telling Thomas he was "an utterly insufferable, swotty boy." My life is complete.
- Molesworth Rides Agane :: Molesworth on the XMAS PLAY. "I am the inkeeper moan moan groan which is almost as bad as being the angle he has one sene and doesnt kill anybode not even joseph."
- Vivien & Merlin :: A missing scene: Randolph and Christabel's last day.
- There Will Be No Survivors (Except for the Survivors Behind the Curtain, But Pay No Attention to Them) :: Training Inigo as the next Dread Pirate Roberts. Fits right in with the spirit of "living like a king in Patagonia."
- Once Upon a Bird :: Post-series, chilly and rich all at once. "Even before you read the words you know what they say: *Once upon a bird*, and then the story you have been dreaming, the story you cannot escape."
- Petition :: Perfect voice. "'Cats know things,' I inform him, smugly. It's true; we do. We hear more than people imagine. 'Didn't you know, there is a feline Torah, and these are the stories we yowl to one another at night in the alleys of the city.'"
- Ducenti Quinquaginta :: Missing scene: the hours after the end of Gaudy Night.
- No White Flags Here :: Joanne-POV during Wizard's Dilemma. Excellent development of a character who basically vanished after the first book despite the gesture in her direction at the end.
(Off to comment . . . )