Apparently it's been a while since I did this. Triaging, then:
Two above-the-fold items:
- "Man of Mystery: How to drive women wild . . . or maybe just away" By Gene Weingarten :: Seminar on picking up women by lying. I think someone I know had this tried on her: "Your first lie is to make up a chick-intriguing pretext to talk to them (e.g., "My buddy broke up with his girlfriend by text message. Do you think that's okay?")"
- Uncertain Principles: Evolution of the Best :: Chad and Emmy talk evolution. Cutely.
- SeeLight: Avoiding Sensitive Conversations :: Long thoughtful post about educational conversations on difficult social topics, from both ends.
- zvi_likes_tv: Tone: Let's approach this from the other direction :: "Fans of Color are repeatedly told that if they are sufficiently polite and non-confrontational when challenging racist activity, the original poster . . . will understand . . . . // Has anybody actually seen this work in the wild?"
- zvi_likes_tv: What I learned about tone :: Follow-up post with analysis and recommendations.
- paradox_dragon: Baby-stepping away from racism: A guide for white people
- "Choosing Radical Cancer Surgery: More Women Opt To Have Both Breasts Removed" By Rob Stein :: "While the surgery reduces the risk of getting a second cancer, it does not eliminate the risk and it does not lessen the chances of dying from breast cancer."
- The Race Card - Richard Thompson Ford - Book Review - New York Times :: “We should begin by looking at racial injustice as a social problem to be solved collectively rather than as a series of discrete wrongs perpetrated by bad people.”
- SeeLight: Somebody Kill Me Now :: What's wrong with using "politically incorrect" to mean "smartass."
- Nets and malaria | Malaria and how to beat it | Economist.com :: Large-scale study showing that free distribution of nets and anti-malaria drugs cuts malaria deaths dramatically.
- veejane: [Passing for White: Race, Religion, and the Healy Family, 1820-1920 by James M. O'Toole] :: Review of a fascinating-sounding book: "a startling history of self-reinvention and wilful blindness."
Books and other entertainment:
- Category:Orphan's Tales - FSFwiki :: List of characters and first-book plot outline.
- Watch the Skies :: Free weekly e-books from Tor, and . . . hints at some other stuff forthcoming.
- sandramcdonald: Open Letter to SFWA Voters #1 :: First in a very funny series explaining why people should vote for her novel over the others on the preliminary ballot.
- telophase: AWESOMETASTIC MANGA OF AWESOMENESS :: Scans from a manga about ekiben otaku (crazed fans of specialty bento you can get at train stations). Surprisingly charming.
- All the Nebula Award Winners--in Haiku: Romance Novel Reviews - Smart Bitches
- laurashapiro: Vidtalk while you wait. :: Playlist for The Genealogy of Vidding, presented at the DIY Video Summit.
- Restaurant-Style Taco Meat Seasoning - Allrecipes :: Not at all bland: either removing the onion & garlic lets the chili powder really come through, or chili powder from an Indian market is much stronger. Very good,though.
- Stop the Annoying "There are unused icons on your desktop" Popup Balloon :: the How-To Geek
- Freeware Palm: MicroFluxx v1.1
- Lasers Make Other Metals Look Like Gold :: Shiny!
- Cute Overload! -- Hey You. Let us in. :: Snowy deer peering at kitten through sliding door.
- Shortcuts for Special Gmail Labels