Screw flying cars. Where is my in-home custom clothing fabricator?
(Prompted by an unfun trip to get maternity clothes. Chad thought I was going to say "uterine replicator," but I pointed out that even if I wasn't needing maternity clothes now, I'd still have to buy clothes sometime.)
* * *
The first four episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender were entertaining; pitched a little young, but that did make them undemanding after a long day. We'll probably keep watching.
* * *
Hugo nominees update:
Ragamuffin (booklog) and The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice (booklog) for novel; honorable mention to The Secret History of Moscow (booklog), which I am allergic to. The Arrival (booklog) for related book, which you all have to go out and get right this minute, seriously, I mean it!
I may try and squeeze in Acacia, but am unlikely to get to Shelter (I'm sick of winter and am not much for dystopias at the best of times).
* * *
Just a few links, because I've been spending all my delicious time on boskone reports.
- azurelunatic: Signs you might not be from LJ originally (some of LJ's rules, both social and not-so-social) :: Useful, especially for those coming from message boards, but long; I'd like to see it categorized and prioritized and perhaps in my infinite free time will take a crack at it.
- The Privilege of Politeness « The Angry Black Woman :: "The question I always ask in these situations and no one ever answers: Why do I (or anyone) have to be polite when we are offended? . . . . the answer is *for the accused’s comfort level*, which brings me back around to the title of this post."
- Obsidian Wings: Obama: Actually, I Think We Can :: Detailed and thoughtful post about Barack Obama's substantive legislative record, interests, and methods, from a supporter.
- slacktivist: Move that schoolbus! :: Proposing "Extreme Makeover: School Edition."
- Cute Overload! :) -- orange kitten on glass coffee table, seen from below
- Decision of the Day » Blog Archive » The Seventh is on the Warpath Today . . . :: Only judges get away with saying "Plaintiffs have behaved like a pack of weasels and can’t expect any part of their tale be believed."
- sillybean » Translation from Aburt-speak to English of selected portions of his SFWA presidential platform :: "I don’t understand why people on the internet are so mean to me, but I fully expect that my patronizing approach will bring them to their senses."
- Yale Daily News - ‘Serendipity’ plays role in Yale Law School admissions :: "Yale is the only law school that relies entirely on faculty readers, although some others do involve professors in the admissions process."