Six quick links from the last couple of weeks:
- Kit Whitfield's Blog: Macho Sue :: "While basically a Mary Sue, in that the story attributes to his feelings far greater importance than they would merit in a realistic narrative, Macho Sue appeals to a primordial impulse: the impulse to truckle to the alpha male."
- Creating the Innocent Killer :: What's wrong with Ender's Game: among many other things, it tells kids, "Your mistreatment is the evidence of your gifts. You are morally superior. Your turn will come, and then you may severely punish others, yet remain blameless. You are the hero."
- Australian Antarctic Division - Icebergs :: Awesome pictures. Someone turn these into fantasy novel covers.
- Pregnant? Eat Chocolate! - The Checkup - :: "Women who ate the most chocolate -- about a candy bar a day -- were about 70 percent less likely to develop preeclampsia than those who eat the least, the researchers report in this month's issue of the journal Epidemiology."
- City Farmers’ Crops Go From Vacant Lot to Market - New York Times :: For years, city dwellers have raised fruits and vegetables to feed their families, but now more and more of them are growing food to sell to a wider market.
- Monitor on Psychology - Husbands, rate your wives :: "The test taker would add up the total number of merits and demerits to receive a raw score, which would categorize the wife on a scale from "very poor" to "very superior.""