Sing me a love song. Tell me your first reaction to the words "love song" or to a particular love song? Sing me a song about love songs. Tell me what you think a love song is? Are your favourite love songs: seduction songs, or romance songs, or celebrations of established love, or complaints about love, or songs about love lost? Tell me your favourite love songs.
Gosh, apparently album tracks from obscure-ish Scottish bands are hard to find on the Internet! Who knew?
We danced to this at our wedding, because we listened to the album a lot when we first started dating, it was fitting, and it was short: Del Amitri, "Through All that Nothing" (lyrics). Except my eyes aren't blue.
I find that my personal definition of "love song" is specifically about love or a relationship, and not sad or creepy. So, just off the top of my head:
- "Anniversary Song" and "Angel Mine", Cowboy Junkies
- "Brokedown Palace," Grateful Dead (which doesn't fit quite as well, but I sang it a lot to SteelyKid at three in the morning)
- "All the Right Reasons," the Jayhawks
- "Never Had Nobody Like You," M. Ward
- "Bird in a Cage," Old 97s
- "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You," Sting
- "My Girl,", The Temptations
- ETA: "Say Hey (I Love You)," Michael Franti
What about you all?
(And why do I have no "music" icon?