Kate (kate_nepveu) wrote,

terminology question

Those marks you use to count things on a piece of paper, four vertical next to each other and then a fifth crossing them to make a group.

What do you call them?

I always thought of them as "hash marks" (which might be a mishearing of "hatch marks"?), but apparently the more common term is "tally marks," which I'm pretty sure I've never heard before.

Here, have a poll:

I think folks using OpenID can vote if logged in, but if not, feel free to leave comments.

comment(s) | reply | link
Tags: randomosity

Comments for this post were disabled by the author