I'd never stitched on dark fabric before, nor with a single strand of floss (a deliberate choice by the designer, to give it an airy feel); the latter turned out to make stitching rather unforgiving, so I gave up trying to stitch in the hand and broke out the Q-snaps, which was definitely the right choice.
(I also tried framing it myself but the foam board was too thick for the deepest ready-made frame I could find, and I didn't trust my ability to line it up properly without using pins and foam board. Oh well.)
Next up, finishing the red dragon. I am currently backstitching the body, and then I just have to fill in the wings and body and I'm done, so that's exciting.